WD: Just to add my two cents worth, though we are all different, I had 7 weeks of rad/chemo and worked throughout the 7 weeks. No pain medications until after work as I drive a lot. The two to four weeks after rad were worst of the lot. But I got through it OK. Also, I had a peg and think it should be automatically installed before starting rad. I couldn't even swallow what little saliva I had left, let alone water and forget food for the last few weeks of rad and into the first 3 weeks or so after. I took ensure type stuff with instant breakfast to get about 450 calories per can. Had 4 cans per day through the peg and it stopped my weight loss at 25% of my starting body weight, 50 pounds total lost. Now back up 15 pounds and eating my fool head off. In looking back, it wasn't so bad, but going through it is a bear. Suggest you get mom a peg and keep her weight on. At her age, though, they may be concerned with the procedure because they do have to punch a hole through her stomach. Well, ask them about it and they will give you the best advice.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.