Wow, I can understand your concerns and although I don't think any of us can answer #1 - that's something you need pathology reports to tell - I would suggest that you get a second opinion on treatment options.

If you tell me what medications and doses he's on I can ask our pain management nurses if they have any suggestions for you. Pain medication should not weaken him or make him more suseptible to pneumonia, but decreased white and red counts can so those should be checked. Also important to keep his nutrition and hydration at good levels just like during treatments.

I do know of another case where a friend's Dad was 6 years post treatment and doing well when a recurrence occured. They are doing chemotherapy on him at the moment and trying to figure out what's going on.

I'm sorry for your trouble but it is wonderful that you are continuing to support your Dad and I will hope for the best for him.

Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.