Hi, My name is suzanne and my dad had a tumour removed from his tongue June 2002, followed by 6 weeks of radiation. Just 2 weeks post radiation the cancer showed up in the Lymph system in the neck. He was positive in one node and had a neck disection early Dec 2002.

Since then he has had regular ( 3monthly ) check ups with his surgeon, along with dental health care assistance.

Other than the usual side effects of reduced tongue, dry mouth, pain in the neck (literally) etc he had had good health and and good quality of life.

Enter 2006, from early this year his pain began to increase and the in May another tumour showed up, which he had removed and again within 8 weeks two more tumours grew, on on the back of his tongue and one on the front. He had both removed. The pathology on the margins of the tongue were described as unstable and we have been told we have to wait and see what happens next. In the meantime dads pain level had increased and therefore his pain medication is up significantly. As a result of this his quality of life is less than satisfactory as he seems to be 'very druged'. If we lower the pain meds the pain is unbearable, if we increase them dad is very tired, and unable to concentrate, walk steadily etc.

I know I've been very long-winded above. I felt it might be useful to give the background.

My concerns are:
1. that this 'thing' is on the move again and it's only a matter of time before it returns. What do you think?
2. The medication balance will weaken dad and if the cancer doesn't get him he something else will e.g. pneumonia.

Does anyone have a similar story who can shed some light on what we might expect in the future? I know this is asking someone to predict the future...worth asking the question!

Suzanne confused