At a HNC conference I attended in May, a psychologist from Hopkins spoke on depression and mood. He was careful to distinquish between clinical depression and what he termed "being disheartened", the latter a more transient stage that is expected with any major life-changing event but which generally resolves on its own within a few weeks. He emphasized the importance of getting professional help and also, criticized doctors (including those of his own institution) for not taking this facet of treatment more seriously. Even by just asking the patient AND any caregivers about the patient's emotional state and then, offering help. Hopkins has a social support program but it is not part of the mainstream treatment -- that is, you are not given an automatic appointnment as you are with dentist, swallowing therapist etc. -- and you have to be proactive in seeking this help. (At least that was the case last year but I hear they have changed this).

One thing which can helps boost patient morale -- outside of professional assistance and/or needed medication -- is to try and plan for some enjoyable event after treatment ends. Not immediately, as you will not be feeling great for some weeks or months, but have something on the horizon. A trip, cruise, show etc. -- something you would have done as part of your "normal" pre-cancer life.

For example, we planned a birding trip to Mexico for three months after Barry's treatment ended. He had been very worried when first diagnosed, and after reading all the horror stories on the 'net about post-treatment disabities, that he would never be able to resume his major hobby of world travel & birding. We wanted to try and get out of that mindset and get "back to life." Barry spent a lot of time on the internet researching places to go in Mexico, making arrangements and, as a consequence, getting his mind off cancer. We invited a friend along as I thought Barry would get tired in the afternoon and would want to rest, and my friend Sally and I could go out birding together. Well, Barry didn't get tired (Sally did!) -- he was out all day and had a wonderful time -- and came back feeling like his old self and with the knowledge that he *could* resume his normal activities. This did a great deal to eliminate his "disheartened" mood and get him back to his usually happy self.

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!