How do you guys battle the depression episodes. Usually I am fine, but once in a while - like today, when something wasn't going right - I get so depressed and just lose it - and cry for hours. It didn't help today that I had had no sleep for 24 hours though as I work 3rd shift and was trying to get things done instead of sleeping on my day off.

I don't want to go on depression medication or anything like that- just want to know if there are any tricks, or activities you do to take your mind off it. I live by myself & I've lost interest in most things I used to like. I have even lost interest in just keeping the place organized (although I'll admit I was never good at that) and keeping up on the cleaning and laundry etc...

I feel all I do is sit on the internet researching and researching and that certainly does nothing for my mood.

Sometimes I just feel so helpless and like my life is out of my control. Is this normal? Will this pass? I am less than 2 months out from my diagnosis - so it is still relatively new to me. How do you all make it through the first year without going crazy?

SCC Right Lateral Tongue T2N0M0 Dx 01/12/06, Surgery 01/25/06. Partial Glossectomy, Bilateral Neck Dissection - 22 lymph nodes - all clear. No radiation.