Stephany, I am glad that you are looking into a second opinion.

I can only imagine what that doctor meant by "won't spread". Possibly, that she would pass away before such spread to another organ would become a problem? (which is a possibility) There are several people here that are going through treatments for metastic SCC cancer. Some others did not survive SCC that had spread to lungs, liver or brain. It also can spread to bone and other tissues.

It is unfortunate but this doctor might be right that your mother may not survive longer than a year. On the other hand I believe for peace of mind you all need to have another professional view from a Comprehensive Cancer Center. If she is already at a CCC then look for a different one in your area just to be sure that the second opinion is not biased by the reputation of the first doctor.

Take care

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.