In 1989 I was reading a Good Housekeeping magazine just before our guests were to arrive for Thanksgiving dinner. I had noticed this greenish looking "sore" in my mouth a few months previous but didn't give much thought since it really didn't hurt or cause any problems. Also, I had never even heard of tongue cancer---I didn't even realize that it was possible to get cancer on your tongue. How stupid was I?? I was 34 years old at the time raising two kids, cancer was not something I ever even gave thought to. Anyway, to make a long story short, after reading that tiny little article that day I made a dental appointment the following Monday and thus began my journey with oral cancer. In 1997, I had a recurrence after getting the flu, a high fever and a mouth full of what I thought were fever blisters. I was wrong, but this time smart enough to have the problem looked at right away. That recurrence cost me over two thirds of my tongue along with chemo and radiation. Thankfully I have been cancer free for five years. Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!