Hi Lois,

It sounds like the doctor is a bit reluctant to prescribe pain meds, which is a bit strange when dealing with a cancer patient. My dad started with Vicoden and then moved to Percocet, then they upped the Percocet. I agree with Petey on the Darvocet...it actually made me laugh out loud that a doctor would even waste the ink to write the prescription considering what you are dealing with. I wouldn't ask for a stronger prescription, I'd tell him (nicely but firmly) what he needs to write it for. If he says he won't then I would talk to your family doctor about the situation and see if he will prescribe something stronger. Some physicians are reluctant to prescribe narcotics due to all the DEA regulations.

I am very fortunate that with my work I deal with experts in the pharmaceutical industry. Your pharmacist can also help you with questions you may have. Any good pharmacist will be more than happy to listen to your concerns and tell you what the next step should be in pain management.

When Dad was in the hospital and had difficulty swallowing it was me who spoke up and said..."Can't we put him on a Fentanyl patch?". You would have thought I had turned water into wine by the look on their faces. Within an hour they were puting on his patch.

Just remember, you are in charge. If you don't get the answer you want, keep climbing the ladder until you do.

Good Luck!

Joy

CG to Father, 75 yo with SCC of the mouth; upper maxillectomy and neck diss. performed on 5/23/07. Father also suffered heart attack during surgery and now has CHF. RT complete on 8/28/07. Cancer back 11/27/07. RT and Chemo to start on 12/17. Cancer back 6/17/08. Finally at rest 08/08/08.