Sharlee, the petscan will be less effective after any surgery due to the inflammation ect. If you want to have a petscan have it done before the tonsillectomy. I had mine done before the tonsillectomy but we already knew I had node involvement and we were trying to find the primary tumor. The surgeon got the petscan results the day after they removed the tonsils. After removal they found the small tumor on the left tonsil and the petscan verified it also. Oh yeah I seen 3 different ENT's and they scoped me a few times and only once did one of them say that the left tonsil might be swollen but not really noticeably different from the right and he was also the last one to see me after all the irritation by all the others. My tumor was small but the metastisis involved atleast 3-4 and maybe more nodes. I went with the whole if I don't need the tonsils take em out. I really wanted to know where the primary was though because my understanding was that it would make my rad treatment more pinpointed which would mean less damage to tissue surrounding all this area. If they didn't find the primary tumor they would have to treat a broader area. Kind of like shooting in the dark. I hope it's just time for your tonsils to come out, but I have found that it's best to be sure. I'm praying for you. Lee

Lee, age 33, stage 4a, T2N2bM0, Tumor left tonsil (removed), 2 left side nodes removed (poorly differientiatied)total of 3 nodes involved. Treatment IMRT x33/ 2x Cysplatin completed. Good Health and Good Help to you.
Lee