Hi berr,

I am sure you are on pins and needles. Not sure if I will be of great help. I had tongue cancer in 2004 and removed 1/4 only had surgery at that time. Reason for that was if the cancer came back I could have radiation & chemo. Well in 2005 it was back!

I am now at one year and have had all clear on last scan. I can only hope this will continue for the future. This cancer is very aggressive and need to do all that can be done.

Is she at a cancer treatment center? I am not familiar with your University Hospital. I am sure it must be. It does not hurt to get a second opinion. Many here have done that.

I am sure someone here will be able to help you with information on that type of surgery.

You are a great friend! She is very lucky to have you. She needs all the help and support she can get. She may need some Meds. for depression as well. She needs to learn all that she can about her cancer and all options. Hang in there it is a ruff ride.

Take Care,
Diane

2004 SCC R.tip 1/4 tongue Oct. 2005 R. Neck SCC cancer/Chemo Cisplatin 2x/8wks. Rad. Removed Jugular vein, Lymph gland & some neck muscle. TX finished 1/20/06... B.Cancer 3/29/07 Finished 6/07 Bi-op 7/15/09 SCC in-situ, laser surgery removed from 1st. sight. Right jaw replacement 11/3/14. 9 yrs cancer free as of Jan. 2015