Hi everyone! I just joined in the last couple of days. I had verrucus carcinoma in 2000 that was treated with surgery and lasering of the inside of my mouth - I was diagnosed again in June 0f 2006. In Sept 2006 I had surgery again -it had invaded a large portion of left side of my mouth and they did a "free flap" procedure where they take out a lot of tissue then use the radial artery from your arm and some of the muscle and tissue to basically make you a new mouth. That was pretty much a nightmare and after 2 weeks on a ventilator - I went home, recovered, went back to work in November and tried to put my life back together. I could not longer eat - dentures were just for looks - not functional, had to have bulk reduction in mouth, had the arm redone to get more use out of it. Thought things were going well.
Mother diagnosed with small cell lung CA in early March - had not smoked in 35 years! She died 4/28 - 6 weeks from diagnosis to death (74 yo). I finally got the dental implants and thought things were looking up - but went in for my 1 year check up and there is a large mass in the roof of my mouth. Don't know how I missed it, but I did. It's under my denture. Dr. scheduled biopsy for the 5th. When I got home, I took out the plate and my hubby and I both looked...ugh, we've seen it before, we know what it looks like and this looks like it again.

Had spent time getting affairs in order last fall - so that's not as prevalent for me this time. My husband took off quite a bit of time last fall and did more to take care of someone that anyone could ask - this time he's pretty scared. I know what I am not willing to do, and I don't want to end up a monster from ongoing surgeries that crop up and they keep having to take a piece here and there. I think quality is more important than quantity and my family knows how I feel. How many times can the same CA recur without it becoming metastatic?
Like everyone else who has dealt with this -trying to stay positive - keep a sense of humor and savor each day....but like everyone else it's not always easy.....Looking forward to being part of this community of people and survivors.

47 y/o female had Verrucus CA 2000, recurred 8/06 - free flap lt. forearm 9/06 - 2 wks in hosp - 10 days on vent - lower dental implants as result. Former smoker, social drinker, no chemo or rad treatment