Hi Baller12,

The odds are slim that you have developed cancer at this point. What you see are tissue changes related to irritation from the dip. STOP using the tobacco right now, wait a week to 10 days and see if the gums start looking normal. They should.

If you find that the sore (callus) doesn't go away, then get to a dentist and get it checked out.

This should be a warning to you to quit the habit right now. If you have any hesitation about doing this, or if you stop and then you even think about starting again, check out this website and see what happens when you continue to use chewing tobacco www.outdoortexan.com This site is very graphic and is sure to make you think. The author of this site is a member here and he lectures to young people like yourself about the dangers of spit tobacco. He is one of the lucky ones, but look what he had to go through.

BTW, I have had many patients come in with similar situations to what you describe and when stopped early enough the problem will almost always clear up when tobacco use is stopped.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"