Hi Michelle,

I remember you well. I followed your story. Your Mom was diagnosed with her recurrence a few months after my Aunt was diagnosed with hers. (My Aunt passed away three weeks ago).

While we understand from the doctors that this particular cancer is not hereditary, some families do have a strong genetic predisposition to developing cancer in general. In my husband's family, many many people develope cancer. My husband's mother is our Aunt Rosemary's sister and my husband's mother has cancer too. Three different kinds in fact. One of them is SCC found in the lymph nodes in her neck, but she has not developed oral cancer yet. I don't believe they understand 1/10 about this disease that they will someday.

Please try not to be scared. Just keep in touch with the knowledgable folks on this Board and ask as many questions as you need to. They will get you through this and will help you to understand better. Then, when you feel you have all the facts you need, encourage your brother to go full force to hit this vicious beast as hard as they can.

I'll be praying for you.

Hugs,
Lisa

Niece to Aunt Ro- Dx: 4/03. SCC Stg 4 BOT with mets to fl of mth & crvcl lymph node. AdenoC 1 sal gland. Two add. reconstrc. surgeries for adhesions. Recurrence 7/06- Sub-Mand AdenoC. Mets to both lungs. Lost her battle 5/4/07.