Kyle,

It sounds like your situation is almost identical to mine. I was a bit younger though. At 32, my dentist found a spot. It didn't hurt and I had no risk factors for cancer so I ignored it until the next cleaning appointment with the dentist. About a week before that appointmnet, it started to hurt when it brushed against my teeth. So off to the Oral surgeon I went and he did a biopsy. Few days later, "You have cancer." A few days later, my Otolaryngologist (ENT) said I could loose up to 1/2 my tongue and a lot from my neck. Did a PET scan before the surgery and confirmed that one lymph node was positive so the cancer had spread but it was only beginning to spread. Surgery confirmed that it was only in one lymph node. Radiation for 7 weeks took care of the rest.

Since I am so close to your case, let me know if you have any specific questions. I probably have been through everything you are about to face.

And finally to always give hope, I am 4+ years out and still cancer free.

Take care and fight hard.
Jim

T3N2aM0 SCC right oral tongue. Partial Glosectomy, Modified Neck disection for 1 Lymph Node. Dec. 2002. 35 IMRT 2003.