I had surgery for SCC of tongue 5 months ago at UCLA,with a free flap reconstruction and modified radical neck dissection.

The information I found on this site helped me to be prepared for what might be coming, and also what questions to ask. For me, knowledge helps combat the fear. The information and encouragement here are so helpful.

I had the cancer removed, and almost 1/2 of my tongue. Because so much was removed, they reconstructed my tongue with tissue taken from my left forearm (called a free flap), which was in turn covered with skin grafted from my left thigh. I also had a modified radical dissection of all the lymph nodes on the right side of my neck. My nodes were all negative for cancer, so my prognosis is very good. No further treatment is planned - Had no radiation or chemo.

They will check my tongue this month to see if it needs to be trimmed for better speech. My speech is almost back to normal already, but the "new" tongue is probably a little larger than it could be, so think they will end up trimming it at some point. I was never completely unable to talk, but right after the surgery the tongue filled up my mouth so it was pretty garbled, but understandable. It has rapidly improved. Already, people who don't know me say they didn't notice anything until I mentioned it. I feel like it sounds like I have gum in my mouth.

My scars are healing beautifully - I am amazed at how well. I have been able to eat since a week after the surgery - eat about anything I want - some things irritate my tongue a little, but nothing has been unbearable.

My neck is recovering great, too. They removed a muscle, so there is some tiredness, aching sometimes, but I have full range of motion of both my head and my arm/shoulder. I have most of the feeling back on that side (was somewhat numb from ear to shoulder.

All in all, I feel totally blessed to have had my treatment at UCLA and at the miraculous recovery potential of our bodies.

You are welcome to contact me via email for more specifics.

Rhonda

10/2006 SCC of tongue, 2cm+ (T2)No node involvement or metastases; Resection approx. 1/3 of tongue, free flap reconstruction and MRND (lymph nodes removed) on 10-11. No cancer in lymph nodes - No further treatment recommended at this time. 3.5 years cancer free.