Hi Amy,

Your husbands condition sounds just like mine. His treatment regimin is exactly like mine. 35 Rad traeatments, 7 to rounds of Chemo. I was lucky to have the peg and very little problems with it. It is no fun to use, but makes a world of differrence. It saved my life. I lost over 80 lbs. The worst part for me was the every day radiation. My burns were quite bad. Xlcair or other prodcuts will help his skin.

From my understanding, the only way to tell if the cancer is gone is through pathology. The patholgy can only be done once the lymph nodes are removed. A CT scan will only show a million cells or more. When my wife & I figured this out, the surgery was a no brainer for us. I had little or no nerve damage. PT once or twice a week for two months cleared any problem up. I started lifting weights two weeks after my neck disection. I still have little or no feeling on the right side of my neck, but the scar is hardly visible. No one notices unless I point it out.

It will a tough fight for your husband, but at his age, he can handle it. We are here to lend support when you need it.

Steve

SCC, base of tongue, 2 lymph nodes, stage 3/4. 35 X's IMRT radiation, chemo: Cisplatin x 2, 5FU x2, & Taxol x2. Hooray, after 3 years I'm in still in remission.