In March 06 I found a lump on the right side of neck. Had it biopsied. The report came back negative. I was told it was something from birth that could of got infected. Don't worry, can get it removed 5 or 10 yrs. down the road. I am 48yrs. old and thought I'm in good health now, why not do this now instead of when I'm 60?? Gave 2 wks. notice at work. Was supposed to be same day surgery. They went in, and it didn't look right. I was still in the operating room, tested it, it showed squarmous cell carcinoma. The dr. got permission to take out lymph nodes then. I found all this out when I awoke from surgery. The other nodes where all negative. Went to radiologist( who happened to specialize in head & neck, and brachytherapy). He examined me and found that the left side didn't look right. Sent me back for another biopsy and that came back abnormal cells. If he wouldn't of caught that, they would of only radiated one side of my throat. Nothing showed up on the pet scan after the surgery, so they are assuming by feel, the tumor went across the base of my tongue, since cells where found on both sides. Like I said, I've had radiation, chemo (Carbo&Taxil) and brachytherapy. Hope I didn't bore anyone with my story. If you read all this thank you. What do you think? Does this happen often, that they don't find it at first? Is it normal to not show up on the pet scan? I'm scheduled for one in Nov., if nothing shows, how will I really know it's gone??? Thanks again for being there. smile

Dx3/20/06 SCC,BOT,1N Tx:5cycles Carbo/Taxol, Rad:35x, brachytherapy:6x, completed 7/24/06