I had a maxillectomy beyond the lateral incisor, and a partial palatectomy in January for a SCC lesion that was staged as a T-2 because of its size. It had been overlooked by my dentist for quite some time, which makes me nervous! I had clear margins at surgery, and clear nodes in my neck dissection. I had no rad. or chem. At six months post-op, my surgeon turned me loose to return in six months. This really makes me anxious! I have read that it is important to be very vigilant during the first year to spot recurrences or additional primary lesions.

Does this schedule sound proper to you? Do you ever get to the point where you are comfortable about the possibility of recurrence? I know that I am very fortunate......my surgeon has declared that I am cancer-free. That's good to hear, but I will feel better when some time has passed and he is proved to be right!

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!