Posted By: August Surveillance after maxillectomy - 09-09-2006 01:22 AM
I had a maxillectomy beyond the lateral incisor, and a partial palatectomy in January for a SCC lesion that was staged as a T-2 because of its size. It had been overlooked by my dentist for quite some time, which makes me nervous! I had clear margins at surgery, and clear nodes in my neck dissection. I had no rad. or chem. At six months post-op, my surgeon turned me loose to return in six months. This really makes me anxious! I have read that it is important to be very vigilant during the first year to spot recurrences or additional primary lesions.

Does this schedule sound proper to you? Do you ever get to the point where you are comfortable about the possibility of recurrence? I know that I am very fortunate......my surgeon has declared that I am cancer-free. That's good to hear, but I will feel better when some time has passed and he is proved to be right!
Posted By: DM32ASA Re: Surveillance after maxillectomy - 09-14-2006 12:09 PM
Hi August,

Welcome! I can understand your feelings about recurrance.
My first round with SCC was my tongue 2004. Had surgery & had clear Margins. All was good until Sept. 2005. Found lump in neck. I did not have CT scan after first surgery, which was just a slip up.

So keep up with the follow ups & make sure to have CT done now & then. That is all you can do for now. Glad you are ok.

Take care
Diane
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Surveillance after maxillectomy - 09-14-2006 10:36 PM
When you get your consult at MDACC they may recomend a course of radiation to be sure that it has all been eliminated. Given the significant amount of surgery you have had to undergo, my guess is that a disease this progressed would warrent the radiation to ensure that everything was resolved completly, and you will not, 18 months from now, be going through all this again.
Posted By: jdpenuch Re: Surveillance after maxillectomy - 09-23-2006 07:26 PM
I had a right maxillectomy 8/04. No radiation, no chemo. I have had a CT scan evey year of my head and neck following my surgery . I saw my doctor every 3-4 months the first year, plus going to prosthodontist equally the same amount. I see my doctor now about every 6-8 months. Push the CT scan- remind the doctor that every year after diag. it should be done.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum