I just wanted to introduce myself and my case to the board. My husband was just recently diagonsed with stage I SCC on the right lateral tongue. We meet with the tumor board on Monday to get their assessment for a course of treatment. We were lucky that it was caught so early. The MRI showed no inflammed lymph nodes and that the tumor is contained only to the tongue. My husband has never smoked and doesn't drink alcohol and is in very good shape. I know that those things are not always factors in oral cancer but it certainly puts you in a lower risk group. In doing research though, I have now found that strong correlation that is being put out there between HPV and oral cancer. I was diagnosed 4 years ago with a very aggressive cervical cancer, having both squamous cell and adenocarcinoma, a combination found in only 10% of all cervical cancers. This is because I have two aggressive strands of HPV, 16 & 18. I have been cured after 2 surgeries to remove the cancer and get checked every 3 months because of my high risk case. I have posed this issue with my husbands ENT oncologist and asked if we could have him tested for the virus. He said he would research this for us and let us know what he finds out about the testing. What are the chances that my husband has contracted HPV from me and now has given him this horrible disease? I feel so responsible for everything. I know I shouldn't blame myself because no one knew that this was even an issue a few years ago. It is hard not to. We don't even know yet if he has HPV.

Michelle, wife & caregiver of Steve/T1N1M0 right lateral tongue cancer/Surgery 8-3-06/Started treatment 9-13-06 -- IMRT x30 Plus 3 sessions carboplatin