JC, The usual reason teeth are removed is because radiation can cause poor teeth to become worse. Radiated tissue heals more slowly and can result in serious complications in the bone, if teeth need to be pulled after radiation. Removing teeth is "Old School" unless he has poor dental health. It is worth the time to be seen by a dentist that is familiar with radiation.

Asking questions of his doctors is the only way to get the answers you need. The patient is usually so fear-struck that they often do not listen well and do not ask enough questions. Does he have a family member that can go with and take notes?

IMRT is a radiation delivery system. It is generally considered to be the better system to accurately deliver the radiation therapy. If he can get it, it will probably mean less long term side effects. I don't know of anyone here that has had the salivary gland relocation procedure. It is very new and I do not know where it is being done. If they are offering it to him, he must be at a pretty good hospital.

You can search this forum to get answers more quickly by clocking on the "search" word at the top of the page.

Take care

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.