I am simply overwhelmed with the support and encouragement of these replies. My son's name is Micah, and I am Cindee. I have gained much knowledge already from this site, as well as the emotional support you offer.
As for insurance, Micah does have it. He is currently covered under medicaid in the state of Nevada due to some circumstances that I really don't care to go into here. Those circumstances involve the fact that we are working on getting him home and out of the place he is currently residing. I believe that if indeed he needs both chemo and radiation, he will be unable to work. He is currently a welder and has been working for a wonderful small business owner in Reno, Nevada since December. Once he is home, his medicaid coverage will cease to exist but we have Blue Shield coverage through my husband's employer. It is a large $5,000 annual deductible, but I know that will be used up in short order when we are looking at treatment and surgery costs, etc. The nearest cancer center that is recommended through this site for this particular type of cancer is in Sacramento, CA, at UC Davis. We live in Carson City, which is roughly 3 1/2 hours driving distance from our home. We do have a cancer center in Carson City, as well as one in Reno, where he is will be starting radiation on Thursday. It is all happening so fast, as we don't even have the CT scan and blood work results for him until tomorrow afternoon.
It is emotionally difficult because our situation is unique in Micah not being at our home, and we hate being apart for any length of time right now. Once the test results are in and we have a better idea of exactly what we are dealing with, I am praying that we can get him home ASAP. He is all I can think about every waking moment of the day. I keep trying to shake this despondency, and I am educating myself through it, but my husband and I are both just devastated.
I was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 weeks ago and have clear margins and a good prognosis after surgery. It was the very next week, after being overjoyed about my good biopsy result news, that we received this news about Micah. It's alot to handle. I have an oncologist appt on Monday a.m., and will more than likely have to undergo radiation follow-up myself. For me, it is irrelevant compared to my son's situation. Yes, I have a notebook already and have questions for the doctor we are seeing tomorrow. I agree with statistics and not paying any attention to them. We will beat this thing. I just want you to know how, despite the fact that I really don't even know you, you are such a comfort and encouragement to me. It helps me to be strong for my son and the rest of my family. God has brought me to this site, and I am thankful.
Love, Cindee