Hi JoAnne,

My husband was also diagnosed with advanced tonsil cancer. Today he is only 4 months out of treatment but a recent CT scan and lots of poking and throat gazing by his radiation oncologist indicated that today his cancer is "under control" (doctor's words).No detectable cancer. The doctors (ENT surgeon, RO, MO) do not seem to feel that he needs surgery.

John and I were remembering today how very, very hard it is to be in the middle of treatment and how it seems to take forever to feel like you are improving, even after the treatment is completed.

You and Jack are at an extremely difficult point right now and my heart goes out to you. Please write and ask questions whenever you have them. This site continues to be so very helpful for me but it was particularly wonderful when our household and lives were turned upside down by the treatment. So many symptoms and situations that terrified me turned out to fairly common among people who had had similar treatment. I would never had known that if this site and all the great people who contribute weren't here.

Mary

Caregiver for John SCC left tonsil Stage III/IV dx Sept 05, tx started Oct 21/05 -IMRT 35, cisplatin 3 X 100mg/m2;completed Dec08/05.