Hi Delia.
they can do a better job of managing his pain for starters. What is he currently taking?

I only had 2 chemos as well - I responded so poorly (or well as the case may be) to the second (Cisplatin) infusion that they decided to drop the third. Some have had to take a break to recover a little better finishing up. It is a pretty brutal treatment and hard to watch for caregivers. Just try to take it one day at a time and roll with the punches. He could get very cranky and angry and take it out on you but it's not personal believe me. Plus there can be additional problems and complications with constipation, thrush, infections and aspiration. It is vital that he complete the radiation treatment. It is a hard road - but a survivable one.

I hate to tell you this but the radiation effects actually continue to get worse until 2-3 weeks post Tx so don't get your expectations up that he will improve as soon as radiation is over. His condition sounds fairly normal for this phase of his treatment so don't freak out too badly.

There are meds to help with the mucous a little also like Guaifen.

There are also steroidal creams and moisterizers for the neck burns as well but MAKE SURE that his his neck is clean and dry prior to actual radiation treatments or it could act as a "bolus" and exacerbate the radiation effects to the skin. Ask the techs or nurses for some "Radiacare" -they should have some samples of it. Aloe Vera works pretty well also.

Was he a smoker?

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)