THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSES. All the information is very helpful.
We will find out more next week when my mother goes back to see the dr. about the patho report.

Cathy I can't believe that they tried to feed you a steak.
Dani I would love to hear your mom's story.
Sorry that she had to go through 2 operations.
What type of cancer did she have? And where did she have it?
Did she have a partial or hemiglossectomy?
Did she have chemo or radiation?
Sorry for all the questions.

Darrell Hi how are you doing. Sorry about your reoccurance. Is in the same area?
Did you have routine pet or CT scans? And is this when they found it or were you having symptoms?
My mom had it back in 1986 and 1988. Then 2003 had another surgery for high grade dysplasia.
Today I pulled out her patho report from her last surgery in 2003. It said High-grade dysplasia/carcinoma in-situ-arising in backround of mild to moderated squamous dysplasia.
I was wondering if she should of had radiation then in 2003 for the carcinoma in-situ.
I remember the dr. saying it wasn't cancer then.
Anyhow now she has it again. This will be her first time for the radiation.
I think she is having a lot of mucus in her mouth right now from the surgery. Her tongue is still healing and has the graft.
It's been 2 weeks today and she still is taking her pain medicine. Tylenol with codiene. She said it's getting better each day.
She's 70 and it takes your body longer to heal when you are older.
Thanks to all the rest of you for your response.

I just take one day at a time. Try to look at the positive side. It appears that it has not spread anywhere else, and they got clean margins.
Now we just have to get through the radiation.

Take care everyone. Michelle