Hello everyone,
Need help on understanding the patho report from many of you experts.
She had surgery 1 wk ago today. SCC on right side of tongue. 70 yrs old. Went Monday to ENT dr. he removed the BOLT( gauze) that was holding the skin grafted to her tongue.
She's still having a lot of mucus in her mouth and pain. Did anyone have this problem. The dr. said it will get better. For next 2 wks he just wants her on pureed foods. He said no chewing at all. She's still having trouble getting food down.
Coughs some. I think her tongue is still swollen and sore. Anyone have this trouble? Cathy, Lisa or Jerry? Any suggestions of foods that are easy to get down?
Anyhow patho states the margins are clear. Which makes me very happy. T1 tumor. (does this mean stage 1 )?
Under diagnosis right hemi tongue- states ulcerated moderately well differentiated keratinizing squamous carcinoma.
also under diagnosis labeled a-f.
Each margin labeled with a letter. Medial, posterior,lateral, deep and anterior margin.
Under anterior deep margin say chronic sialadenitis-no evidence of malignancy.
Under tongue deep margin-skeletal muscle negative for malignancy.
All the rest of margins say no tumor found, no evidence of malignancy.
Jerry was wondering if you could help me understand some of this info?
I'm not sure of all the layers of the tongue. But to cut into the skeletal muscle does this mean that the tumor was deep?
When we took my mom for her follow up they did not have patho report. My father picked it up next day but did not speak to dr. about it.
She has another follow up next week.
Will find out then when she will be having radiation.
Maybe I am trying to read to much into this patho report.
Thank you all for listening and I hope everyone is doing ok. Take care. Michelle