Amy, Your decision to seek no more treatment is certainly understandable. We all have to work to put food on the table. It was very generous of your co-workers to contribute some vacation time for you. Sounds like a good group. And your confidence in your surgeons is wonderful. Good docs can be hard to find.

There are a couple of things I'd like you to keep in mind as your carry on with your recovery. First, please don't imagine that "chemo and radiation" is a fixed, inflexible thing. In fact everyone of us here probably had very different amounts and types of those treatments. It is always tailored uniquely to the individual.

And second, you can only get GOOD oncology advice from an oncologist - not from a surgeon. Even though we hold them in such high esteem, every doctor can't know ALL that there is to know. My father used to tell me that "The plumber will have an opinion about that broken light fixture, but if you want if fixed right - call an electrician." In much the way you would not ask your dentist to treat your sprained knee, don't ask your surgeons to 'know with certainty' that all you need is surgery.

Get one more opinion from folks who fight this particular disease every day. You don't have to act on their advice, only listen to it. Don't hide from this one, it is VERY unforgiving. No matter what decision you make, we are with you. Be strong. Tom

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.