Vicky, how I hate hearing anyone has to struggle with other things when going thru cancer themselves or for their spouse!!! My former employer was very strict about this sort of thing and at times I had to fight to be able to take time off to get treates and recover. What was the most upsetting was the third time my cancer was diagnosed and my doc told me to get my affairs in order my employer was NOT very happy with me as I had recently returned from my previous cancer recovery.

Make sure your mother understands how FMLA works. She is legally entitled to have up to 12 weeks off to care for herself or an immediate family members serious medical condition... which cancer definitely falls under! As long as she has worked there for over 12 months, has worked at least 1250 hours in the previous 12 months and theres 50 or more employees where she works are the biggest hurdles to get over to qualify for FMLA. This FMLA time off could be intermittent or continuous, whatever works best for the patient, spouse or caregivers situation. Theres a few other minor details in qualifying for FMLA so Ive included a link to get full details.

FMLA basics from US Dept of Labor

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy