Hello,

I'm Scotty, 45 year old male, I retired from a twenty year Army career in 2001. Chewing tobacco is hugely popular with Soldiers as it doesn't take away one of your hands, no smoke, so when you are in tactical mode you can still use it. I actually started using Copenhage as a teenager. Originally from Oregon, I worked as a logger before enlisting in the Army, and as luck would have it, Copenhagen is also used widely in the logging industry. So, I've been using this crap most of my life. It has caused some gum recession, and discoloration of the teeth, but nothing major. Went to the dentist today and she wants me to quit....I'm trying! She said she sees sending me to the oral surgeon within a year to get a biopsy done on the inside of my lower lip. Needless to say, my eyes teared up and flashes of doom danced in my head. They say it's never too late, but my dentist talks like it's a fact; I will get oral cancer, even though she hasn't sent me for a biopsy yet so maybe I have time if I quit as fast as I can. Of course I understand that the damage could already be done and much depends on my genetics as to what will happen in the future. My dentist said it could be one year, could be twenty. I'm hoping that she was trying to shock me into getting over the hump in my efforts to quit using smokeless tobacco. Anyway, my hands are shaking and I know there is nothing anyone can say to make me feel better. I guess I just don't want to admit this is likely to happen to me. But when I really think about it, it just could. I guess I'm just scared to death and needed to vent somewhere. Thanks for reading my message.

It's never too late.