Im sorry I hadnt explained my way of thinking clearer. Im talking about surgeons doing invasive surgeries. The surgery to remove a tumor is not only taking out the tumor. They need to take extra tissue surrounding the tumor to ensure they get every single microscopic cell so the cancer does not regrow. Thats called getting a clean or clear margin. For example, a patient has their tumor on the side of their tongue. The surgeon needs to take a large section of the tongue around the tumor which means the patient will have a long road. They will need to learn how to maneuver their "new" tongue how to eat and talk. The tongue will likely have a piece of tissue from another area of the body transplanted onto their tongue to replace what was removed. A SLP or nutritionist will help greatly in the patient adapting to their new normal. So once the surgeon removed the tumor and area around it the surgeon can replace the area with other tissue but the new tongue will never be the same as what it had been prior to the surgery. That area probably will not have any feeling or sense of temperature or taste. I hope now you can better understand what I had been thinking when I wrote my previous post.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma