I just found this site yesterday and can't stop reading all the posts and info. THANK YOU BRIAN...my hats off to you and the founders of this site. I don't know whether I want to cheer or cry! I have been all over the internet looking for a place such as this. I couldn't find anyone who had been thru the kind of stuff we have until now. I now have a much better understanding and outlook on my husbands condition and expectancy for the future.

My husband (48yrs old) was diagnosed last July with Stage IV SCC metastic to right cervical lymph nodes, primary unknown. He had 3 tumors, the largest was 6cm. He had a neck rescection and "exploratory" surgeries taking 18 biopsies from various sites. Still no primary found. They pulled all 28 teeth prior to treatment because they said the extensive radiation would damage his teeth and jaw bone for life. He goes to CCI in Huntsville, AL under the care of Dr. JH and NE. My husband underwent 12 weekly chemo treatments of taxol and carboplatin and 12 weeks of daily 30min radiation from his sinuses down to his upper chest, front & back. He was on a PEG tube 100% for 3 months due to the radiation. He tried ethyol to save the saliva glands but couldn't take the side affects. He spent 8 days in the hospital with nothing but IV's due to complications from all the treatment.

From the beginning, the picture painted for us was not very pretty. We were told without these treatments his expectancy was about 6 mo's. We were told that even with the above treatments, we only have one shot at a cure or remission. They repeatedly told us if these treatments do not work, there is nothing more that can be done. Until now, the statics we were given terified us. Thanks to you all, after reading several of these posts, I now have a different outlook and have learned why these "statics" really don't mean a thing.

Jimmy finished treatment Nov21 and is doing well except for the expected eating difficulties. He will have his first pet scan after treatment next week. We are hopeful and taking things one day and time.

Again - thanks Brian and all who post on OCF. I think I have found new friends!!

Caregiver to husband, Jimmy, Dx 7/05 Stage IV SCC, metastic to right cervical lymph nodes. Occult Primary; Radiation x38; Chemo: Carboplatin & Taxol, 12 weekly treatments. Last treatment 11/21/05. Mets to Tongue/Partial Glossectomy 5/06.