Welcome to OCF, Mary! Im sorry to read about everything you are going thru. Bouncing back after a major surgery is never easy. I completely understand everything you mentioned and how frustrating it can be. Ive been thru surgeries too and know how frustrating it is when going thru a recovery that isnt even close to what was expected. I dont always make the best patient, Im a very impatient patient!

Being a patient in recovery phase isnt easy! I feel so bad that you are not only having physical issues but also worried about your rate of recovery. All patients can never get well as quickly as they think they should. Usually its 6 weeks between when a patient has surgery and they begin their radiation treatments. Unfortunately that does not mean in 6 weeks the patient is fully recovered. Especially when talking about swelling which tends to hang around for a very long time. Most patients will say they feel much better around 5/6 weeks after surgery only to start rads soon and begin to feel lousy again. Always remember, every single person is an individual and will respond in their own unique ways which may or may not be similar to another patient who has a similar history. Comparing patients is not ever an equal comparison. Take 10 people who on paper appear identical... same age, sex, weight, tumor size, tumor location, stage, node involved, live in the same general area, same habits (smoking or not, drinking or not), etc. On paper you would think all of these people would pretty much go thru the same things with treatments, recovery, etc. But they dont! Every single one will report different side effects of varying degrees, some struggle from day 1 while a few lucky ones will bounce right back without any major issues. The point Im trying to make is comparing oral cancer (OC) patients doesnt work! Every one is different and will respond in their own unique way which is why I said most patients feel much better after about 5 weeks of recovery after surgery. A complete recovery after surgery takes a full year, sometimes more (too many variables). When talking about cancer, doctors con not wait a year before beginning the next form of treatments, rads.

Heres a link that will help you learn more about OC and treatments. Its from the main OCF site that has page after page of helpful, important info. You may also benefit from reading posts of others who have had similar surgery, just keep in mind everyones different and will vary. You are among friends here. We understand what you're going thru and wish you only the best with everything. I hope the link below helps you. Best wishes with your continued recovery!

Main OCF Site... Understanding

PS... Thank you very much for taking the time to add your signature already. Great job!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma