I can't agree more with the comments here, especially not second guessing. It just drains energy, and accomplishes little. Just take it as a learning experience, and readjust plans as new info comes in.
I was in your shoes somewhat. I found my cervical lymph node tumor myself while rubbing my neck, saw my primary doctor, and had it removed by a general surgeon, just one week later. Never saw any ENT, Oncologist, or had any head or neck scans, just a chest x-ray.
So when it biopsied as SCC, I went to a cancer center, had a PET /CT scan, and they referred me to a ENT.
The first thing the ENT said, after shaking his head, is that I did so much out of order. But he didn't spank me too badly, he came up with a referral to an ENT Oncologist.
But from there onward, I just made sure to make my appointments ASAP, get insurance authorizations, get copies of my reports and images, and document and understand where I stood at a given time.
In other words, devote my energy and time to what is in my control.
If there are any residual cancer cells left from the lymph removal, then I will have to have faith that the rads and chemo I just started, cleans that up.
I know those t-shirts and mugs are a little corny, but it's so true with this unique cancer, "Keep calm, and carry on".
You are on here getting advice, you are being a caregiver, getting information to help make good decisions, so you are on a good path. Have faith, that anything that happened that wasn't optimal, will be compensated for by current and future treatments.
All the best to you and your husband.

Enlarged left cervical lymph node in neck on 1/9/18. Male, age 60. Had retired from working as a computer technician and a project manager for almost 38 years, on 7/1/17.
Node was removed 1/16/18 and found to have SCC P16.
Chest xray clean.
Since then, PET/CT, slight activity left parotid, possible malignancy left lingual tonsil. MRI clean.
3 endoscopies, nothing seen.
2/26/18 Larryngoscopy,primary not found.
TORS 3/23/18 lingual tonsil biopsy.,biopsy negative.
Chemo/rads started 4/18/18.