I have had Lichen Planus all my adult life. About 18 moths ago I found out my gums, bone and two teeth were all damaged from bacteria. I have erosive Lichen Planus and yet, before surgery, my Oral surgeon did not take a biopsy. He pulled two teeth, grafted new gum and bone in the area. After over a year he put the "bolts" in my left rear gum and bone as it did heal. Although because of Lichen Planus it was always painful. Somewhere along the line something happened. When I came back for more dental work, the lichen planus was worse. I was using a mouth rinse continually. I finally said, I want a biopsy. Even when the oral surgeon took the biopsy he said it was Lichen Planus and nothing to worry about. In two weeks, the day I was scheduled to see him again, I get a phone call from my dentists office. On behalf of their oral surgeon they said he had to cancel the appointment. I asked why. There was hesitation and then the receptionist said that I had to find a new oral surgeon. Finally, she said he can't see you because your biopsy showed cancer. Could he have had a little more consideration.

I'm terrified. I have an appt. to see an oral surgeon that is part of the CCC at Johns Hopkins. My biopsy from the dentist showed a Squamous cell carcinoma. It is also noted the lesion may have arisen within a verrucous carcinoma. My wife is great support but can't helping thinking the worst. I have a ten year old son who doesn't know. The back of my gum, to just under my tongue and onto my cheek is all a raised area. I have had similar lesions with Lichen Planus in the past. Does anyone else have experience with LIchen Planus going this way? I'm wondering if all of the raised area is OC, or a mix of Lichen Planus, being hopeful.

Interesting also that the oral surgeon who put the posts in always put in his notes that the area was healing well, when I don't rember it ever healing well. However, the area changed in character after he put the bolts in the grafted gum and bone.

Anyone who can reply with hope, encouragement, their own experiences it would be appreciated. I'll find out tomorrow but I'm afraid to. Also, I teach, so speaking is what I do for a living.

Trout (learning to breathe underwater)

Not sure