My husband got only two doses of Cisplatin because he developed deep vein thrombosis after the second dose, first in one leg and then in the other. His chemo doctor said she would not give him the third dose because he was in such bad shape. The neutrophil was so low that he could not even start getting the blood thinner injection for a couple of weeks even though his legs were both swollen and he could hardly walk.

Another patient we met at the hospital also did not get the third dose because his white blood count was so low. If they waited for his white blood cells to recover, he would have to get his chemo after his radiation finished. At that point, apparently, there was no reason for him to get a dose of chemo. That makes sense to me if the chemo works as a radiation sensitize and does not cure cancer on it’s own.

From what members say on this forum, it does seem that some people only end up getting two doses because of toxicity.

I live in Canada where the government pays for meidical care, but that also means it was not possible for us to ask for a weekly dose of chemo instead of the three big bags.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.