You are correct!!!... 2 doses of chemo is NOT standard in the US. Most patients will get cisplatin with their rads. Sometime Erbitux AKA Cetuximab is used instead. The best way in my opinion is to go with the smaller weekly doses. Most patients find its much easier to tolerate with getting small doses every week. I was so sick after the first dose of cisplatin my oncologist cut the second dose in half. After the second smaller dose 3 weeks later, I was still very sick so the third dose was cancelled completely. This is the more common method of doing the 3 big bag method of chemo. I would definitely question why the treatment plans chemo component was different than how most patients are treated.

Heres a link to the main OCF site where you can read all kinds of info that will help you with your mother. Im sure you can get much more info about chemo there. This can also get printed or emailed to your mothers physicians if they balk at being questioned about their way of doing chemo. You can also do an internet search for specific treatment guidelines where you will see flow charts for OC patients that is based on their exact diagnosis.

Good luck!!!

Main OCF Site... Understanding/Treatment section

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV