((hugs)) We didn't even know mine was cancer when I went in for my surgery ... it was just a sore that wouldn't heal. My doctors at least had the sense, after observation wasn't good enough, to agree that it should probably be examined and, as one put it, 'cut it out and give it a fresh start to heal' ... but he did biopsies while I was out, and that's when he found the cancer and kept going back till he got clear margins. It was jarring, to say the least. And I'm an anxious person by nature. After the first surgery, things actually healed pretty well, but you can see by my signature things got more complicated later. Worrying didn't change anything though. And though Christine and everyone are right about trying to keep up calorie count, if you can't do it, don't let that be another thing you fret about. (Gosh, the worrying I did over that!) We're all here rooting for you. I just went through another surgery where I should have stockpiled calories ahead of time (and believe me, I tried!) but my body is just not wired that way, and that's okay too.

I'm older than you are (by rather more than I'd like to admit), but my mom had breast cancer a few years before I had tongue cancer, same as you. As we don't have much of a family history, this was a surprise all around. She was a good support for me, though.

Find some good shows to binge watch, both now (to distract) and for later (recovery). Or read, if you find you can read well during recovery and you're so inclined. (I always think I will, and never feel well enough.) Find a fun game website and play all the crazy online games you can. Start a new hobby. (If you can't do school right now, what would you want to do? Me, I love doll collecting, among other things, and I spent chemo time sewing small 6" scale doll clothes and accessories, when I wasn't napping. It was fun and portable and something to chat with the nurses about.) Go see good movies, multiple times, and rip them to shreds with your friends. If you plan to recover on your sofa near the TV, hang some bird feeders near the closest window and grab a bird guide to keep handy as well. Whatever it takes to distract, go for it. It's all good. (I'm a woman of many hobbies. I use these as a Scout leader so's to justify them all. LOL. Try woodcarving while being on pain meds ... or rather, don't ... but it's great for soothing the mind.)

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June