Im so glad you took someone with you!!!! We all are guilty of hearing bad news and then all we can do is focus on that bad news, our ears stop working. Thats why recording the appointment is a huge help too. Just make sure to always ask before recording. Several members have reported their doctors refused to be recorded. Probably they're afraid of lawsuits if they say something wrong.

Best thing you can do now is to eat. Have all your favorites and then have seconds, desserts too. You probably will have difficulty in eating after a major surgery. You might want to check out the facility where you will get treated and see if they have a speech pathologist/SLP on staff to help you after surgery. It will feel strange trying to talk and eat with your new tongue. The sooner you can start working with someone the better your results will be. Most patients with this type of surgery have said their tongue feels too big or tethered down. Honestly that isnt a big deal. Both things are easy fixes after the swelling goes down which can take months. Dont worry!!! Most swelling is gone within the first 2 weeks, it just takes longer for it to go away completely. You can always have reconstructive surgeries down the road to tweak your partial glossectomy. Those are very easy and quick surgeries that are usually done on an outpatient or overnight basis.

Prior to having anything done please make sure you get a complete blood work up including thyroid count (also testosterone levels for men). Make sure you ask about the possey muir valve trach to make talking much easier.

You are completely correct... its going to suck!!! Im so very sorry you have to go thru this. I know its horrible and upsetting. Try lining up friends and relatives who can sit with you while your in the hospital. You may not be with it the first day or 2 and you'll probably be hurting too. If you can have someone stay with you around the clock your entire hospitalization that would be very helpful. You will need someone to advocate for you. Unfortunately you could have a huge neon sign saying you cant talk and hospital staff will still ask you questions when they walk into your room. Eating wont be easy either, dont be surprised to get meal trays delivered even though you wouldnt be able to eat them. I was in the hospital for 2 months getting half of my lower jaw removed. There was no way possible I could even attempt to take a bite of a regular meal but every day 3 times a day the kitchen still sent me trays of food. They were told every single time do NOT bring any meals but there was a major lack of communication between my room and the kitchen. Having someone with you while you are hospitalized will help by refusing the meal trays, tracking down a doctor or nurse when you need something, or just to have someone be your voice and interact on your behalf. It really would be a huge help for your stay.

Hang in there!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy