Going in for my pre-op meeting tomorrow and I could really use some advice. Doctor is planning a partial-glossectomy but I'm not sure if this would be enough for clear margins - if that's even possible with my tumor. I've read about the chances of recurrence with partial (and even hemi) and I'd rather he just take out more than he has to than too little. I don't know how this works, I don't know if this is something he can change during the surgery based on the size of the cancer, or not. The secretary said the surgery will be 30 min altogether (including neck dissection), but when I browse the forums most surgeries similar to mine seem to take a couple hours, so I'm confused and I'm worried this might be rushed. I'm pretty sure just writing this post took me like 15 minutes, so I really don't get how he's going to get everything done that fast? I know he'll probably explain everything tomorrow, but I don't want to walk in uninformed. I'm also trying to avoid googling so I'm turning to you guys.

I don't know if surgery and treatment is something you discuss and decide with your doctor, or if it's something he decides himself what he thinks is best and you just have to find another doctor if you don't like it. I'm guessing the more he takes out the more the need for reconstruction so it's more work for him? Would he say no because of this?

A lot of silly questions I'm sure but I'm really wondering. Can someone please give me some insight as to what I should know going in? Thank you.