Since you are about 6 weeks post surgery, you may want to talk to your doc at your next check up and ask about PT. If your next check up isnt for a while then call and ask about getting the referral if your insurance company requires it. The sooner you get started, the better and quicker you will improve your range of motion and hopefully lessen your pain. After a neck dissection, many have problems with the surgery side with that arm and side of their neck. Its very common for those patients to not be able to lift that arm all the way up or get dressed/undressed as easily as before the surgery. The muscles have been affected (some of us had them cut during surgery) and you will need to relearn how to do things to make the most of what range of motion you have.

Best wishes with your continued recovery.

PS... I think what you described about your complaints compared to your husbands is similar to survivors guilt. Every single patient has their own ups and downs when they go thru a cancer diagnosis, treatments and recovery. Im sure your situation was no walk in the park. Its not a equal comparison when talking about 2 different types of cancer. In my opinion, its apples to oranges. Every type of cancer is different and has its own list of problems patients will have issues with. Dont downplay what you went thru! Im sure you had your own set of problems, pain and side effects. By complaining about your ailments it helps to get it off your chest. To me its not complaining, its having a discussion about OC. Here at OCF, we understand what you have gone thru and know its no small feat. I think watching someone you love go thru cancer treatments and recovery must be terribly difficult. I have not been a caregiver and probably wouldnt make the best one. Its a thankless job and loaded with stress. We're here to listen if you feel you want to vent. We do understand and we would never compare your experiences to another type of cancer. You're not alone in this anymore! You have discovered an entire online family when you found OCF. smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma