Hello fellow members, I know it has been a while since I have shared. After being diagnosed with stage 2 throat cancer I think I told all of you that my ENT advised not doing surgery on my throat as it would be a very big life changing experience. Epiglottis removal, voice box removal, stoma and permanent feeding tube, I am pretty happy with the decision to not due this surgery and do radiation instead. 35 radiation treatments later, temporary feeding tube, 30 pounds lighter, treatments were over about 4 weeks ago. I am starting to ween myself off the morphine and hydrocodon and am trying to gain some weight back though very difficult. These radiation treatments were brutal. My nutritionist said to use 6 bottles of Isosource a day to help gain the weight back but I can't do it. It smells foul so I am eating as much as possible and 2 Isosource things a day. I have gained maybe 2 pounds. I went back to the radiologist last Monday for a follow up scope, though he said that my throat was still quite swollen and iritated but that he didn't see any signs of cancer there. He said that he can only see the surface and a soft tissue scan is scheduled for August 8 and another scope afterwards. WOW, some good news for a change. I went to church this morning for the first time in 4 months and wept quietly the whole service. I can't push it, my tolerance for patience and resting is nil but with my wife helping me I will make it!
Cheers to you all,
Murphy

5/31/16 Partial Glossectomy
Right neck dissection
22 teeth extracted
Six weeks of radiation Ended 8/19/16
2/8/17 Biopsy of epiglottis-cancerous
35 radiation treatments to the throat, End 11/17/17
8/23/19 Tongue reconstruction, left radical neck dissection