I agree with what Christine said!

I had a Segmental mandibularectemy with a fibula free flap last September on a Friday morning, and briefly recall being in recovery after surgery trying to answer some nursing questions, but had a trache, and couldn't. I thought they would have erasure boards as I asked prior to surgery. I may have scribbled some words on paper, shook my head to questions like a charades game. The next thing I was in the "Step Down Unit", but it was Sunday, so I was out of it since that Friday or whenever since I don't recall much.

Communicating was difficult! I was not given any erasure boards until I asked, which may later be moved out of reach or misplaced for you to use. I had iSpeak on my iPhone, but my vision was basically too gone from medications to operate it. Maybe that Monday my surgeon said, I believe, when the swelling went down, the hands free speaking valve would be placed, and was. It may have been done after the nasal tube was removed too. That made communicating so much better!

I was in the hospital Step Down Unit, my doctors didn't like to put you in ICU, for 6 days, and was alone that whole time. No so called family, friends were with me, visited or were there after surgery, so it can be done, but more attention is always given to those patients that have family with them, who can help communicate, in my opinion

Before discharge, the speaking valve was removed, so had to resort back to pressing my throat with a folded gauze pad, and went to a nursing rehab center for the next two months. I have other prior heath issues from the prior cancer, plus some of my ribs, chest vein, and artery were removed for this surgery, so I would have needed too much care than my 80 year old mother who lives alone with me could provide. This time, I hired my mothers aide to stay with me for a few hours each day, cash, after her day hours at my home. Best thing I did! Communication was still difficult since it took the stoma, which was about the size of a quarter, a month to finally close due to prior radiation. Rehab or nursing home is another story....

Good luck with everything

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI