Hi everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself and connect with you all. I am a healthy 30-year-old female, non-smoker, only social drinker and with no past medical history minus celiac disease. Here’s my story…I was diagnosed March 10th with tongue cancer stage 2, and then post tumor removal stage 4. I underwent a partial glossectomy with reconstructive surgery (leg and forarm) with a wonderful team of medical professionals at University of Miami hospital/Sylvester cancer center. I had a positive recover in the hospital. I was only in the ICU for 24 hours, I got up with PT day 2 and I was discharged 6 days without a trach. I was discharged with my NG tube and got it out 9 days after surgery to my surprise. At home, my husband and family helped me with daily living activities but I was also very independent. I started PT for my neck and shoulder my second week of being out of the hospital. After asking twice, I received a referral for Occupational Therapy.
I saw my doctor on a Friday (week 3 post op) and he said I had a hematoma on my neck. My neck was huge! The next day I started to feel unwell and not myself and was thinking, I should take my temperature. Much to my surprise my neck started draining! I ended up in the hospital with an internal bacterial infection. The doctors said it was nothing that I did with wound care, it is just very common with head and neck surgery. I am just so thankful the infection presented itself because it could have been way worse! I was in the hospital for 3 days and then home IV antibiotics (nurse came to house for 7 days) and not oral antibiotics.
I start radiation on Monday. I will go M-F for 6 weeks. I am a little nervous about the side effects of radiation to the tongue, lower jaw. I want to stay positive about this but it is also difficult not knowing what to expect. Any tips?
Thanks for reading my story! There are many topics that I have found important throughout this process and I look forward to touching base in this forum. Best!

31 years old, SCC, happy and healthy!
03/10/17: Diagnosis of Tongue Cancer
03/20/17: 9 hour surgery, Hemi-glossectomy, radial forearm free flap, femur skin graft
05/01/17: Radiation 6 weeks