As a caregiver I'm saddened to read this; as a retired nurse I'm appalled. Some facilities have patient advocates. Has anyone found one to be helpful? The energy required to stay on top of things is frustrating and exhausting! I remember a time when RNs listened closely to patient's concerns and had time to coordinate care across departments. Sadly, that often is no longer the case.

I dealt with a horrible incident during my husband's hospital out-patient PEG tube replacement that did not go as planned. He was in a weakened condition from rad & chemo tx and the situation became complicated very quickly. His bed was scheduled for the next patient/next procedure and they did not want to provide follow-up care - pain meds, nutrition, etc. He asked me to please just get him out...I was able to do that because I had resources to fall back on, but it was very frightening. GI answered calls with recommendation for ER, the hospital was the problem not the solution! Finally, I threatened to show up at GI office in 10 min with sick, vomiting, husband unless someone called back to discuss situation. PA at GI office called back, straightened out immediate issues on phone, and made early AM appt for next day.

After that incident, I spoke up to all medical personnel that we dealt about how poorly this was handled. I have found the safest place is with the cancer center team. They were fabulous, knowledgeable and kind. I would advise involving them, if at all possible, for any procedures. PEG tube problems are referred to GI office/MD that inserted the tube. They do not seem interested in follow-up care. I have posted about this previously. Knowledgeable dental follow-up for complications is also difficult. I think both situations are a disgrace. I continue to try to bring attention to this in my medical community.

CG to husband, dx @ age 65, nonsmoker/social drinker. Dx 5/08 SCC Stage IV, BOT T1N2aM0. 33 IMRT - completed 9/12/08. Induction Chemo (Cisplatin, Taxotere & 5FU), plus concurrent Cisplatin.
1/09 PEG removed; 5/09 neg PET/CT; 5/10 PET/CT NED
Dental extraction & HBOT 2013; ORN 2014; Debridement/Tissue Transfer & HBOT 2016