Im so sorry to read of your recent problems!!! To me, hospitals are not training the staff who works hands on with patients enough about patients who have special needs regarding their eating, or using a feeding tube. Patients unfortunately know far more than medical professionals about these things. I found out the hard way (just like you) about the lack of feeding tube knowledge during my 9 day hospitalization in Jan. I was without any formula for the first 5 or 6 days and that was with me asking about it every time anyone came into my room for days. Even after asking about it least 8 times a day I got nowhere. The nutritionist dropped the ball, my info sat in their computer system "on hold". Meanwhile I never would get any better if I had no nutrition, I was getting sicker by the day. I finally contacted the nutritionist Ive worked with for 10 years who works at another branch of my hospital. She immediately contacted the supervisor where I was. I had my formula within a couple hours of making that phone call. I can only imagine what would have happened if I brought my own from home. It would have been even longer before I had any nutrition.

I also had problems with the pain meds Ive been on for most of the past 10 years. Its horrible when medical professionals do not listen to their patients. They simply form their own opinion and ignore what the patient says. I hope you are able to work with the pain management physician after your husband had a chat with her. Its crucial to your health your pain is kept under control. Im hoping the pain management professional understands your situation and will help you.

I have heard of the patch you mentioned. Im more familiar with the fentanyl patch but Im going to assume this kind is similar in you must be careful how its handled. With the fentanyl patch you must never fold, bend, tear, rip, cut or otherwise compromise the patch or it could lead to all the medicine being released too quickly. Also no long hot showers or baths too. I think the Butran patch is longer lasting so it may take longer until it kicks in. One thing that Ive learned is when using a patch it helps to keep your pain levels more stable so using the liquid oxycodone or whatever one you have doesnt leave you without any help between doses. With pain meds alone, you will find you have times where your pain is not alleviated until you take the next dose and your pain can get so much worse. But the patch helps to make it not as bad or as intense pain when the liquid meds wear off. After about 2 weeks you will notice how easy it is using a patch with pain meds as a back up. The most important thing is that you are able to keep your pain controlled enough so it does not impact your life so significantly that you are pretty much laying on the couch in agony all day.

Best wishes with everything!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy