I feel I may be going out on a limb since I don't really know the family dynamics. But I do know that if your treatment plan includes chemo and radiation, your husband may not have the time or the energy to deal with the daily chores, especially if he is not domestically-inclined. You probably won't be able to do the chores yourself after a couple of weeks of radiation. So, some help in that department will be needed. If you could talk your husband into getting his brother to come at the time when he is really needed, then do so. (Treament won't start for a couple of weeks at least after you've seen the oncologist, so it makes sense for him to allow you to take a breath and plan which scenario you would like.) If not, see if you can set up a space for yourself (in your room/the den) where you have everything you need and you can close the door on the drama that's going on outside.

As for the young people, I hate to say that, but emotional blackmail has worked for them, right? So, I would just ignore the sob stories and let them go on their way.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.