Although it's ideal to finish treatment as planned, it's not uncommon for doctors to reduce the dosage, infusion rate, change drugs delay or stop it completely when it comes to Chemo, which mainly acts as a radiosensitizer to make radiation work better, and stays in the body for a specified period depending the type of chemo. Chemo by itself does not cure this cancer.

I've had to stop all my treatment completely, and any future treatments, for an unknown duration, due to the side effects from High Dose Induction Chemo (IC); Cisplatin, Taxotere, and 5-FU in 2009. One of the problems with IC is your body's response is not given enough time, and not really gauged past a few days, when all the chemo is given, and can't be reduced, changed or taken back at that point.

As a result, I suffered multiple side effects, an understatement, many relating to the Sepsis and Septic Shock, which included Kidney Failure. The kidneys can have accute toxicities, and recover, once the cause is treated or taken away, but some accute toxicities if ongoing or bad enough, can cause chronic kidney failure, and may not fully recover to normal levels sometimes, but may become stable enough where it's manageable, and no other treatment is necessary, other than scheduled blood testing. That's where I'm at now, but a few times I was almost placed on dialysis, but I have a good nephrologist who has kept me off.

A number of conditions can compromise the kidneys, including chemo, dehydration, kidneys stones, infection, etc, and hopefully they can identify the cause, correct, and monitor the kidneys with no further problems.

Good luck

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI