You're welcome. Im happy I could bring you some encouragement.

I had a close friend who lost her voice box. My friend had cancer recurrences many times. She couldnt make any sounds at all. Theres an ipad app she used and it worked great. Its called "Speak It" and will say whatever he would type. Using the text to speech app even worked when she wanted to make a phone call.

My friend lived a full life even without a voice box and the ability to talk. She reunited with an old high school pal and they fell in love and got married. My friend went to the OCF walk/run events with me and had many friends. She traveled, bought her "mid life crisis" convertible that she always wanted and was the same great, happy person as when she could still talk. Even though she didnt make any sounds, we would laugh and and have lots of fun together. She typed on her ipad and the app said what she typed, we had many long in depth conversations.

Im telling you all this so even if your husband isnt able to talk, he can still do many things he enjoys. It will just take some time until he feels better both physically and mentally. A therapist, maybe some meds can help? Acceptance has no timeline, Im speaking first hand about this. I ended up disfigured after my 3rd round of OC. By the time I left the hospital after my 2 month stint, I had come to terms with what my new life was all about. I couldnt hide my deformity but I did have control over how I felt about it. I was still the same person inside and nobody could take that away from me. Being only a few weeks post surgery, your husband still has lots more recovering to do. I suggest if he hasnt already seen a speech pathologist to find one who is very experienced and who has worked with OC patients. You never know, maybe they can help him, (at least Im hoping they can) he can at least give it a try.

Good luck!!!

PS... Sorry for rambling on. Being new here you havent been here thru many of our active members histories so I shared some from a dear friend (sadly she has passed away) and myself.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma