Samir,

I'm sorry you had to join this site, but welcome, and see you've already been given sound advise. Waiting is the worst, and hope you get your ENT appointment soon!

Right now, everything is still to be clinically defined, even location of the primary tumor, but it sounds like oral, and the staging by TNM grading system. Primary Tumor size, involvement (T), number of Nodes involved, dimension (N) and Distant Metastases (M), and other factors, helps guide your treatment plan.

To help with this, your ENT may do a visual. palpable and fiber optic exam. There are other tests as part of the work-up like CT, MRI or PET scan, endoscope under anesthesia, to see if other areas are involved, such as the lymph nodes (N), synchronous or metachachromous cancer, distant metastases (M).

Some CCC's like to do their own biopsy, pathology themselves and or review the original slides. "Well Differentiated" is the Tumor Grade, which shows how aggressive a cancer is. On a positive note, it's better to have it "Well Differentiated", G1, the lowest grade, but I don't believe that changes the type of treatment your team will decide. In cases of HPV oropharyngeal cancer (tonsils, base of tongue), then it's a good thing to be Poorly Differentiated, G3 high grade, and most are.

For SCC, Squamous Cell Carcinoma treatment, and depending on a number of factors, it can be only surgery, radiation, chemoradiation or a combination thereof.

I recommend everyone keep a record of all pathology, scan reports, CD discs, surgery reports for future reference, and for any 2nd or 3rd opinions, which I've sometimes done.

If you care to read further, more information is on the OCF pages.

Good luck!

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI