Talking about Aquaphor and other ointments...

I didnt care for aquaphor either. I was given prescription betaVal cream. When applying the cream or ointment to sensitive skin that is red from rads, pat it on gently, never rub it in. If the skin has open oozing sores you can still continue to pat the cream or ointment on after rads and cover with a piece of gauze. Im sorry I cant remember which type of gauze I used but my neck had lots of open oozing sores from rads. Surprisingly, my neck didnt scar even with all those open sores. When applying the ointment or cream, never put it on before going into rads as it could interfere with the treatment. Its ok to reapply several times daily by patting it on. If using betaVal cream, pat on only a very thin layer of it. Also when showering with a sore red, raw neck do not let the shower run on full speed on those areas. Its better to slowly pour warm water over the "sunburned" areas. To wash that area, pat a soapy washcloth gently on the area and rinse by gently pouring warm water over the area.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma